- Meteorology Camp, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday, June 14 through Thursday, June 17. Geared for 6 to 9-year-olds, children will learn basic weather influences and terms, "wild weather," what causes some natural disasters, and how to prepare for them. Participants will discover lightning science, measure precipitation, and learn how to “read” weather patterns to predict what will happen. Hands-on experiences include making a cloud in a bottle, experimenting with pressure and temperature, and predicting weather at home.
- Crime Scene Investigators Camp, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday, July 19 through Thursday July 22. Geared for 10-to-13 year-olds, children will learn basics of crime scene isolation, types of forensic clues, evidence collection, search patterns, finger printing, and how to use scientific analysis. Participants will then apply what they learn to a simulated crime scene. The camp will also include a visit to a police station.
Cost for either the Meteorology or Crime Scene Investigators Camp is $140.
The Discovery Center Museum in Rockford will offer four different one-day programs for 4th through 6th graders from Monday July 26 through Thursday, July 29, from 9 a.m. to noon. Programs include:
- Crime Lab Detectives, Monday, July 26. Participants will become forensic scientists as they analyze fingerprints, handwriting, fibers, hair, footprints, and more to catch a crook.
- Space Cadets, Tuesday, July 27. Participants will navigate their eyes across the night sky with a visit inside the planetarium. Students will also build a lunar lander, a model of our solar system, and more.
- Light and Sound, Wednesday, July 28. Participants will split light apart, filter it out, and put back together as they investigate a spectrum of illuminating science, and create a symphony of strange sounds.
- Science Olympics, Thursday, July 29. Children can put their science skills to the test as they compete in a variety of science events.
Cost for all four days is $75.
Room locations will be announced. To register for any of these programs, call Sauk's Office of Corporate and Community Services at 815/835-6212.